Facebook remains the 800 pound gorilla in social media and Facebook marketing is a given for many businesses. It’s also the elephant in the room when it comes to social media advertising. Facebook has big momentum and big MAU (monthly active users).
Top 10 Stats
How powerful is Facebook? Consider these statistics:
1. Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users. Based on total population, not just internet users, 68% of U.S. adults are on Facebook. This makes Facebook a great place to promote your business, especially if you want to reach Americans.
2. 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook. According to Zephoria, worldwide monthly users has increased 16% year to year. In Europe, there are over 307 million people on Facebook, according to Search Engine Journal. Total daily usage is over one billion people.
3. 66% of male internet users are on Facebook as well as 76% of female internet users, according to Hootsuite. The age demographics breakdown this way:
- 82 percent of 18 to 29-year-olds online use Facebook
- 79 percent of 30 to 49-year-olds online use Facebook
- 56 percent of online users ages 65 and up use Facebook
Does any of that fit your target market? If so, Facebook is the place for you to be.
4. 76% of Facebook users visited the site daily during 2016, with over 1.6 billion daily visitors, compared to 70% of daily usage in 2015. By the third quarter of 2016, monthly active users had climbed to 1.79 billion according to statista.com. Growing number of users means a great audience for your social media efforts.
5. Over 50 million businesses use Facebook Business Pages. Once you’ve created your Facebook business page (and here’s a five easy and free step guide on doing it), you’re ready to promote your business with your business page. Your Facebook business page can be an important resource for you for gaining email subscribers and sales.
6. According to DMR, 4 million businesses use to Facebook for advertising. 70% of those advertisers come from outside the U.S. That’s a lot of competition which means that you need great ads to cut through the clutter.
7. Facebook’s total revenue grew 56% in 2016, and advertising revenue grew 59%. 79% of that advertising came for mobile ads. Are your ads mobile-ready?
8. There were 1.66 billion active mobile users on Facebook in September, 2016, according to Zephoria. Almost 80% of time spent on social media platforms happens on mobile, so your ads better be mobile-ready.
9. 100 million hours of video content are watched on Facebook daily. Video is huge, and your use of video will help you to establish your brand in a powerful way. Cinemagraphs are a great way to stand out from the crowd (see my recent post on cinemagraphs below).
Cinemagraphs absolutely kill still photos, but I haven’t yet seen data on split-testing between cinemagraphs versus video.
10. There are estimated to be 83 million fake Facebook accounts. Even so, there are nearly a billion real Facebook accounts, which makes Facebook the 400 pound gorilla for social media marketing.
If you need help with your marketing on Facebook or elsewhere on social media, check out my 96 Amazing Social Marketing Tricks.
I welcome your comments and questions, and your likes and shares.