Who loves advertising? Not very many, but content marketing is a way to get your message across in a way that doesn’t alienate your audience. Demand Metric reports that content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and it generates roughly three times as many leads. But how do you draw an audience to your content?
There are three powerful tools that you can use to drive traffic to your content. Email, social media, and search engines are channels that will send traffic to your website. Here’s how.
Your Best Tools for Content Promotion
In the diagram above, you see the three essential tools for content promotion. Your email list gives you a dedicated group of readers, social media gives you a mix of followers and those who newly discover you, and search is about expanding your horizons even further. Using these three tools leads to what Andy Crestodina, co-founder of Orbit Media, calls “content promotion feedback loops.” This is what this looks like:
There is a synergy that works between email, social media, and search engines that catapults good content upward. One of the bottom lines for this is that traffic leads to more traffic. When those who like your content share it with others, your traffic increases. When someone links to your content, you get more traffic. That link also gets you ranked higher in search engines.
Let’s begin with clarity about what you want to accomplish from your content marketing. Here’s a helpful exercise from Meghan Casey to get that clarity:
We start with your goals – this comes from answering the why question – why are you doing content marketing in the first place? Next is the what question – what do you have to offer that will be of interest to others?
Third is the who question – who is your ideal target audience – who will be most receptive to your content? Fourth is the emotional element. As master salesman Zig Ziglar said, “People don’t buy for logical reasons. They buy for emotional reasons.” How will your content promotion grab your ideal target audience at the emotional level?
Fifth, what is the value proposition that you are offering potential customers? What do they get from what you have to offer them?
The Ten Best Ways to Promote Your Content in 2018
Once you can answer those five questions, you are ready to promote your content. Here are the 10 best ways that I know to promote your content in 2018. We’ll start with social media.
Social Media Tips for Content Promotion
- Post about your content on your Facebook company page. You can do this more than once a week using different images each time.
- Tweet about your content. Twitter has doubled the number of characters limit to 280. plus you can use images.
- You can also post on Google+ and LinkedIn. Use the same approach as on Facebook.
Search Engine Tips for Content Promotion
4. Optimize your posts with keywords, tags, and a good snippet that gives potential readers a taste of what your content has to offer.
5. Link to other posts on your site with a link inside your post or a “related articles” section below your posts.
6. Give your readers an opportunity to sign up to your email list from your website so that they can get regular notices about new content on your website.
Email Tips for Content Promotion
7. Notify your lists whenever you post new content.
8. Invite your email list to share your content with family, friends and work associates.
9. Use an “in case you missed it” email to remind those who haven’t opened your email about your new content to do so.
#10 – write great content! This is the most important thing you can do for your content promotion. Great content gets more views, more views raises your search engine profile, and gets more shares and comments.
What would you add to these tips? What has worked best for you? I invite your comments and questions, and your likes and shares.