One of the most common sayings in the internet marketing industry is “the money’s in the list.” Building a list of subscribers is essential for internet marketing. The days of “here it is – click to buy” are largely over. Today, everyone is bombarded with ads, beginning with the sound of the morning radio or television wake-up alarm.
To cut through the clutter, you need to build trust, and one of the ways that you establish trust is through sending quality content to an email list that you create through a variety of means. Those means are the subject of this post.
The general rule is that the bigger your list, the more money you will make. Here some ideas on how to grow your list.
9 Tactics for Growing Your List
- Do you have a lead magnet? A lead magnet is something of value that you can offer readers in exchange for their email address. It could be a content upgrade (see number 2), a checklist, a swipe file, or a variety of other freebies. If you don’t have one, create one.
- Add content upgrades to your posts. Once you’ve been blogging for a while, you can put a number of your posts into a pdf and offer that as a content upgrade as a lead magnet.
- Do you offer ways to sign up on your website? 3 easy ways to do this for a WordPress site are an optin banner across the top (as above), a sidebar widget, and a popup. The popup that I use is the highly recommended OptinMonster.
- Do you have social media share buttons? They make it very easy for your readers to share your content with their social network.
- Create high-converting landing pages for your lead magnets. This will include a compelling headline, followed by a compelling sub-headline. Strong images will enhance the attractiveness of your landing pages. A clear offer with an explanation of the benefits your offer are next, followed by your call to action. The place to sign up should be in a highly prominent place of the page. You don’t need to gather all the information as the following example does, but it is an effective landing page.
- Make SEO easy for yourself by installing the Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin. It’s really simple to use and it’s a powerful SEO tool.
- Do you have a free business page on Facebook? This is another great place to place an optin box. Facebook allows you to put a signup box at the top of the page, so please do this.
- One way to take advantage of the move to mobile is to use QR codes like the one below. They make it easier for mobile users to get your lead magnet and sign up for your email list.
- Another way is using service like Join by Text. Let your website audience know that they can sign up by entering one word and texting it to a six-digit number. Join by Text offers a free 14-day trial and a $19.99 per month starter package.
One of the most economical ways to grow your email list and income is through social media. Whether it’s using a Facebook business page (number 7 above), or Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or other platforms, social media is an excellent tool to use to grow your audience and email list.
There are many other ways to grow your list, some good, many bad, but the saying is true – “the money is in the list.” What is working for you right now? Add a comment to continue the conversation.
Or scan the QR Code below: