One of the basics of internet marketing is building a subscriber’s list. List building is the key to the most profitable way to earn money on the internet. This list is made up of those who have opted into your one-time offer by providing you with their email address.
- You may not like them (most people don’t), but pop-ups and slide-ins can get you
newsubscribers. OptinMonster, Sumome, and Icegramare three popular ones, and I’ve tried all three. Icegramworks best for me, but experiment to see what works best for your website.
- Improve your CTAs. You
callsto action may be limiting the number of opt-ins that you’re getting. Here’s some help for that.
- Know your target audience. Creating an ideal customer persona can help you focus your marketing to attract those who are best suited to what you’re selling. Create your content for your ideal customer and you will build a tribe of subscribers who want to hear from you (and buy from you).
- Create a lead magnet for your ideal customer. Offering a freebie to your potential subscribers is a proven way to get new subscribers. What can you create that will appeal to your ideal customer?
- Optimize your landing page. Do you know what the conversion rate is for your landing page? It’s a shame to see people going to your landing page because they’re interested in your lead magnet and then deciding not to sign up. If new subscribers are falling through the cracks when they reach your sign-up page, it’s beyond time to redo it.
- Create multiple lead magnets and sign-up pages. Would you rather walk into a store to buy sneakers that only had one pair for sale? Even if they had it in your size, wouldn’t you prefer to have choices? Of
courseyou would. Create lead magnets for different aspects of your business and you will have created a variety of reasons to opt in toyour email list. This is also a way to segment your audience. You can create multiple email lists with targeted content based on what lead magnet they received from you.
The fastest way to grow your list is through advertising and the best form of marketing that I have used for fast list building is solo ads. There is a downside to solo ads that I will address further down.
Solo ads are purchased from vendors who have built up lists of thousands of email addresses. What is most desirable is to have your one-time offer sent to a list of those who have responded positively to other email offers. You are looking for solo ad sellers who have lists that convert – that is, get you email addresses and sales. You are in business to make some money, aren’t you?
The Big Issue with Solo Ads
The problem with solo ads is that there are skads of poor solo ad sellers. These guys and gals take your money, but you get very little return on your investment. I’ve created a list of the best solo ad vendors that have worked for me and you can have it for free if you’ll email me at email@example.com.
How to run a solo ad
To run a solo ad, you will need a swipe. A swipe is the email copy that you give to the solo ad provider to send to his or her list. You’ve probably received a few of these yourself and your swipe, including a compelling headline in the subject line, will determine whether or not someone will read your email and subscribe to your list.
Solo ads are purchased according to clicks. Clicks are measured in a few ways, but the most basic is when someone opens your solo ad email or clicks on your ad. My advice to you is start small, buying 50 or 100 clicks. Realize that not everyone that clicks on your ad will subscribe to your list, so your list building will take repeated ad buys.
As I’ve suggested above, not all solo ad sellers are equal. It is good to find a site (like solochecker.com) or a successful internet marketer’s rolodex, that will give you some information on who you can trust and who you should stay away from. Again, you can receive my rolodex for free by requesting it at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where are you going to send those who subscribe to your list? You can create a lot of work for yourself by sending them to your personal email address, but there is a much better way. Sign up with AWeber (the company I work with and recommend) and use your account to compile and communicate with your list. You can find AWeber on my Recommended Resources page.
Once you’ve started compiling a list, you will want to follow-up with those who have signed on with you. Follow-up is an art, and it is good to have help with this. My headlines report and advertising course on video are great resources for this.
To make money, grow your list. Grow it with quality leads and you’ll be the one throwing the Gatsbyesque parties! I hope that this is helpful for you. I invite your questions or comments, and your likes and shares.