Are you currently blogging for your business? A question and answer on the Warrior Forum may cause your to reconsider if you’re not.
A post on Warrior Forum, “Must you have a blog?” has generated nearly 4,000 replies. The question is framed in terms of affiliate marketing – is a blog essential?
Dave O said, “I don’t think a blog is necessary but it certainly can be helpful in building an audience or fan base.
“I started with trying to build a blog about something I’m personally passionate about. After a few postings I realized that I had turned something I loved into work. I’ve killed off my blog and am now looking at other avenues.”
icoachu replied, “I tend to lean toward the MUST camp.
Why? Blogging can be an important part of your personal branding. It is one of the most powerful means to get your message out there and build a base for your business.
I believe that a blog is essential. You can do affiliate marketing without one, but how are you going to establish yourself as someone who your prospects can know, like and trust?
You can try to establish your authority through emails, and if they read them you might make some good headway. But with a blog you can offer valuable content that demonstrates that you know your stuff. Sure, they can skip that too, but with blog post after blog post, you can create a body of work that’s hard to ignore.
As icoachu suggests, your blog should be used to build your brand. Your blog can be one of the most important ways that you establish with your prospects that you know what you’re talking about. Your blog becomes your home base where people can see that you know what you’re talking about.
Marian says, “I can’t imagine my marketing without my own site/blog. There is so much more that you can do when you have it.. like promoting more of your and affiliate products, interacting with visitors, branding…”
How to Get Started Blogging
- Decide what you will blog about. Start with your passions and interests and determine what can be a profitable niche for you.
- Get your own domain. Blogging on a blogging website is for amateurs. If you want a business blog, start by getting a domain. The best domain name is yourname.com.
- Find a hosting company. I recommend TMD Hosting. I have found them to offer great support and a reasonable price.
- Choose a blogging platform. I recommend wordpress.org. It is easy to use and has many plugins that will make your blog even better.
- Use a simple theme for your blog design. Google says that users love simple and familiar designs.
- Start writing great content!
7 Must-Have Plugins
Okay, so you’re up and running with a WordPress website for your blog. Now, what plugins are best for your website?
- I recommend Askimet for controlling spam comments. They’re a pain, but they are an unfortunate part of allowing comments. Do allow comments, but do use a spam filter like Askimet.
- Social Media Sharing buttons are a must. I use AddToAny Share Buttons.
- Broken links are aggravating for readers, so I use Broken Link Checker to ensure that I don’t have broken links on my website. I recommend that you do likewise.
- Google XML Sitemaps will help your SEO ranking. I recommend it.
- Security is a must and I recommend Wordfence. It stops people from doing all kinds of malicious activity to your website.
- Speed is a must. I use Above the Fold Optimization.
- Yoast SEO is a great tool that will improve your search engine optimization.
That’s all there is to it to start. I can’t imagine my marketing without my own website blog either. So, do you have a blog? Are you putting valuable content on it regularly (regularly is important too!)? Are you using your blog to brand yourself and your business?
As always, I welcome your comments and questions, and your likes and shares.