May I be brutally honest? It’s hard to do effective marketing when you’re a nobody. If people don’t believe that you’re an authority in your field or niche, why would they listen to you?
One of the best reasons that you can give prospects for why they should buy from you is that you are an authority in your field. Whatever your business is, if you can demonstrate to prospects that you know what you’re talking about, you’ve given them a compelling reason to do business with you.
5 Ways to Establish Your Authority
- Start a blog. You already have a blog? Good. Fill it with excellent content about your niche. Content marketing is one of the most effective ways to establish your authority.
- Write a book. A book about your field or niche establishes you as an authority. I wrote Words That Sell: Creating Advertising With Irresistible Influence. Do you question whether I am an authority on marketing and advertising? Read my book! Adam Witty is an authority on authority marketing. How do I know this? He’s written a book on it.
- Your personal branding greatly contributes to the perceptions of others as to whether or not you are an authority. If you want to look at one of the best at personal branding, look no further than Oprah Winfrey. If you’ve been around this blog for any time, you may recall an earlier post on personal branding. It featured the 3 C’s of personal branding: Clarity, Consistency, and Constancy.
- Lead generation is a Catch 22 of authority marketing. On the one hand, the more leads you have, the higher your authority. On the other hand, it is easier to get new leads when you are perceived as an authority.
- Referrals are another avenue into authority marketing. The more referrals you receive, the higher your value as an authority. Last week, I posted on referral marketing. Take a look at that for more on this topic and this.
I mentioned Adam Witty above. The following are from his book,
Authority Marketing: How to Leverage 7 Pillars of Thought Leadership to Make Competition Irrelevant
The Seven Pillars of Authority Marketing:
- Branding and Omnipresence
- Lead Generation
- Content Marketing
- PR & Media
- Referral Marketing
Here’s an infographic from another authority on authority marketing, John McDougall.
So, what’s the next step that you will take to build your authority?
Give us your comments and questions, and your likes and shares!