Have you ever thought of yourself as a personal brand? When people hear your name, what do they think? Whatever it is that your name evokes in others is your personal brand.
Michael Jordan, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Tommy Hilfiger, Kate Spade, and Vera Wang are all people who turned their names into recognizable brands. Donald Trump is another one. You may hate his naming buildings after himself, but he has definitely built his personal brand.
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos famously said, “Your brand is what people say about you when you’re not in the room.” You have a say in what people say about you – that’s what personal branding does for you. Here are eight tips for maximizing your personal branding.
8 Tips for Personal Branding
- Create a website with your name as the domain and fill your website with quality content on a consistent basis. I recommend posting at least twice a week as a minimum.
- Include an About Me page so people can get to know you better. Part of the work of your website is for people to know, like, and trust you. The more relevant information that you can provide as you tell your unique story, the better chance you have to get people to know, like, and trust you and to elevate your personal branding.
- Be yourself in everything you do. What you do, how you do it, and why you do it will define your personal brand. Put your voice on everything that you produce and focus so that the spotlight is firmly on your unique perspective.
- Offer value in everything you post. Whether it’s a blog post you’ve authored like this one, or something you grab from elsewhere, it all contributes to your personal branding. On your website, you control content and your content will create perceptions about you in the minds of others. So, make sure that everything you put on your personal website enhances your brand.
- The more venues that your name is seen, the faster your personal branding will expand. Tie social media to your branding efforts through Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thoughtful tweets, comments, and announcements can build a fan base for your brand. You can also build your brand through podcasts and videos. Any way that you can increase your online presence in a positive manner will grow your brand and your ability to monetize your brand.
- Your email list can be your best tool in brand management. This could have been #1, but you’ve probably heard about this one before. A targeted. responsive email list can become the top asset for your business. Email your subscribers regularly, otherwise you will be quickly forgotten. Nurture your email list through providing valuable content.
- Put some long-form posts on LinkedIn. If professionals are your target audience, or part of your target audience, LinkedIn is the place to be and be seen.
- Podcasting is an effective way to build your brand with a popular medium. You can post your podcasts on your own website or use one of many other platforms to distribute your podcast content.
Those are my best eight tips. What would you add? As always, I would love to read your thoughts in the Comment section.