You will never outperform your self-belief. Your self-belief is part of the foundation for your success. To move beyond self-imposed limitations, we need to dream. Dream big. It’s time to let your imagination take you to new heights that to this point you thought weren’t possible.
Here are 5 mistakes to avoid in 2015 to get to sail to new heights:
1. We often set goals that we know we can achieve – what we know we can do. Safe goals are not really satisfying – achieving them can feel something like punching a clock day -in and day-out. Insert yawn here.
If you are doing this, realize that there’s no big reward or payoff for ordinary goals. You’ve heard the saying – no pain, no gain? Here’s another one: If the pain is greater than the pleasure you’ll surrender the goal every time. Without inspiration, your goals will not be sufficient enough to cause you to attempt great things.
Without sufficient inspiration, our efforts at lofty goals will come up short. Most goals that people set are not based on what they’d love to do – the goals lack passion, so the effort to achieve them lacks passion. When the pain comes, the goal is set aside. Create loftier goals based on your passions, envision a great future, and you will have the motivation necessary to stretch yourself to achieve greater outcomes.
2. Setting goals based on what we think we can do according to a plan is another mistake. Too often, we fall in love with an elaborate plan. In the back of our minds we’re convinced that if we can plan the work, we’ll be able to work the plan and achieve our goals.
The problem with this is that we cannot control the outside conditions and circumstances of the world. We can be working our plan and changes in conditions and circumstances can make our plan obsolete. Now what? Too often when conditions and circumstances change, we lower our goals to fit the new reality. Our plans turn out to limit us rather than enable us to achieve greater outcomes.
3. Too often, we require knowing exactly how we will do it in order to set a goal. Our mistake is believing that we have to know the how before we will commit to a goal. This also limits our outcomes. We can dream big and then allow our doubts to creep in and quash our passions because we don’t see the how.
The truth is that often we don’t know the how until we start working toward accomplishing our goal. When we dream and let our passions lead us, we have the motivation to find the way forward. Dreams and passions drive creativity. Creativity often happens as we attempt new things. Dream the dream and let the how come out of the process of achieving the dream. Take the first step and trust that succeeding steps will become clear as you move forward.
4. We question our right to be, do, or have whatever it is we want in our life. We question our worthiness or our capability to achieve our dreams. This is incredibly limiting and will take away from you the very resources that are within you that will enable you to achieve your goals. Never question your worth. Marshall your abilities, skills, talents, and resources, and use all that you are and all that you have to reach your highest potential and achieve your dreams. You can do it! Believe this and act on it.
5. Another limiting thought is that the purpose of the goal is to achieve the goal. The purpose of the goal is to cause you to grow, to become the person who can have the best rewards of life. Unlocking the deep reservoirs of ability within yourself is a great achievement in itself. There are other rewards, of course, but the satisfaction of doing your best is a great feeling.
You may desire to build a business that will deliver you a six-figure annual income. That may be your goal, but aren’t the rewards that come from that income what you’re really after? Maybe that level of income will enable you to pay off your bills, or finance a vacation, or fund your children’s educational account. Your business goals can be the catalyst for creating the life you want for yourself and your family.
Use your imagination and intuition to dream big. Stop playing it safe. The first law of receiving is giving, so set your astonishing goals accordingly. If you will take this approach, you will find that the journey can get difficult, but the breakthroughs make it all worthwhile.
So, what are your dreams for 2015? How will you make them reality, starting right now?