Starting a new business without a boatload of cash to throw at it is a common situation. In fact, most small businesses are begun on a shoestring budget. If you don’t have a pile of cash to devote to your business, what’s the best way to move forward? Here are my 16 best small budget marketing ideas.
16 Tips For Marketing Your Small Business
- Be crystal clear on your target audience. This will save you time, energy, and marketing dollars. Target all your efforts at your best target audience.
- Get crystal clear on the best way to reach your target audience. This too will save you time, energy and marketing dollars.
- Create a website. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but it should look professional. l find WordPress sites to be easy to create, but you may prefer to start with Wix, Sitebuilder, or the tools you’ll find at any number of hosting companies. Realize that there are downsides to using Wix and other free website platforms, which is why I recommend building a WordPress site with your own hosting and domain.
- Build your website as a blog and put valuable content on it that will draw in prospects. In doing so you’ll establish yourself as an authority in your niche, which will give you the credibility that you need to succeed.
- Optimize your website for search engines, including the keywords that you use. Here’s a free Keyword Explorer that you can help you with this: https://moz.com/explorer
- Build a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, and other social media platforms that fit for your business. As the saying goes, “Content is king, but distribution is queen and she wears the pants.” Once you’ve created great content, you’ve got to others know that it’s available to them. Social media gives you the opportunity to do this for free or for a modest investment from your marketing budget. Here’s help with this: 96 Amazing Social Media Marketing Tricks.
- Create your own YouTube channel and create videos for your channel. How-to videos are popular and will allow you to show your expertise in your niche. There are free websites that you can use to produce videos. While I haven’t used it, Renderforest looks pretty good for this. You’ll find more on YouTube here: https://www.tonyseel.com/how-youtube-marketing-can-revolutionize-your-business/
- Promote your blog content and products through your social media channels. You can do this for free or pay for advertising. If you have money for advertising, Facebook and Google Ad Words can be effective ways to promote your business.
- Use social media to build relationships with your tribe. Engage in conversation, ask questions, answer questions, inform, offer help, show your expertise in informal ways.
- reddit is a free way to get your name out there, but be careful – the reddit crowd is extremely adverse to anything that looks or feels like marketing.
- Create infographics that you can share on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. You can create infographics and other images for free using Canva.
- Start an email list. Email marketing is one of the most lucrative avenues available to you for building your small business. According to Constant Contact, you can earn $38 for every dollar that you spend on email marketing. Radicati expects 3 billion people to be using email by 2020, so build your list – they’re coming!
- Use your website, social media, and email like a megaphone to broadcast what you have to offer. The more channels you have in play, the faster and more broadly you can get your message out.
- Do everything for your small business with a level of quality that makes you stand out from your competition. The word used often in this respect is over-deliver. Strive for excellence and you will stand out.
- Create a lead magnet, or more than one, and use it (or them) to build your email list. You’ll find more on lead magnets here: https://www.tonyseel.com/how-effective-is-your-lead-magnet/
- Content upgrades are another powerful way to grow you audience. You’ll find more on this in the post above on lead magnets. Take something you’ve already posted, improve it, and repost it. This post is a repost with added content.
Those are my 16 best tips for marketing on a small budget, what would you add that has worked for you? I welcome your comments and questions, and your likes and shares.