Interested in marketing to 25 million users? Who wouldn’t be interested in grabbing even a portion of that vast number. That’s how many monthly users StumbleUpon has and it is growing. This makes SU an excellent source for traffic to your website. Kissmetrics considers SU to be “the best traffic generator among the top seven social media sites.”
StumbleUpon describes itself in this way: StumbleUpon is a giant collection of the best pages on the internet!”
StumbleUpon is a website that recommends content based on categories. The average page on SU receives over 180 views per month.
SU users (called stumblers) skew toward female and young (think high school and college students), but that doesn’t mean that this isn’t a powerful engine for internet marketing even if young women is not your best demographic. Over 43% of SU’s audience comes from the U.S., according to Alexa.com. Nearly 16% comes from India.)
12 Tips for Using StumbleUpon for Your Business
- When starting with StumbleUpon, set up your user profile with interests that include a number of them that relate to your business. This will help other users find and connect with you. Include a photo for even better connection with potential followers.
- Write great headlines, a description of your content, and keyword tags to help people find your content through searches. Tags can be an effective way to help stumblers find your content.
- Only feature your best content on StumbleUpon. Your content is what builds your credibility, and if your content is poor, you will get a poor reputation that will hurt your business. Through offering great content, you can build a following on SU that can transfer to your email list, website views, customer base.
- According to Kissmetrics, the best content for SU is tutorials, videos, images, and lists.
- Use StumbleUpon’s url shortener, Su.pr, to share your content as a status update, or post the Su.pr shortened url in your Facebook and Twitter feeds. You can also share your content from SU directly to LinkedIn. Using SU.pr is a proven way to increase website traffic.
- Short blog posts are particularly effective for StumbleUpon readers. One of the great attributes of StumbleUpon is that readers are sent to your website, if you can get stumblers interested enough to click on your content. Keep it short if you want to hold their attention.
- Use powerful images to get powerful results. Images will get your content noticed and induce readers to click to read your content. Listicles and Infographics are excellent click bait for StumbleUpon users.
- To get the biggest bang from your SU efforts, be sure to have well-placed invitations on your website to sign up for your email list. I recommend top of the page, right sidebar, and possibly a pop-up.
- Do very little (if any) selling in the content for StumbleUpon. StumbleUpon not only helps users find content, it also allows them to rate content. Too much selling can result in people leaving your content, or even worse, giving you a thumbs down.
- As you do with other social media, interact with other users. Interaction is the key to relationships, and social relationships can become business relationships.
- StumbleUpon has a paid advertising feature called “Paid Discovery,” and it costs only $.05 to .25 per click. With this feature you can choose your category and target demographics.
- AskEustice recommends devoting 20 minutes a day (no more, unless you love it and want to do more) building relationships on StumbleUpon and sharing others’ content.
What tips would you add to the 12 tips above? I welcome your comments and questions, and your likes and shares!